Amethyst Foundation, Inc.: Actual Consumer Reviews

Consumer Reviews of Amethyst Foundation, Inc.

As a consumer, before I fork out my hard earned cash, I always Google using terms like, ""Company X" consumer reviews."  Invariably, you get dozens of hits with reviews both glowing and critical.  This was NOT the case with Amethyst Foundation, Inc.

I found a total of three websites and read a total of five reviews.  Thousands of consumers have bought Amethyst Foundation, Inc., products (state-mandated rehab programs).  So, why were there only five on-line reviews?
 
Here's one from "Rip-off Report," describing how Amethyst House lost his records, charged him $500, and diagnosed him as an alcoholic and drug abuser even though he hadn't used for 15 years.
"I had a dwi in 1993 when I was young and stupid. I went to the amethyst foundation and took care of it. 1 year ago(may 2008) the state of nh tells me I didn't. So not having my records from 1993 and amethyst shredding reports after 7 years they told me i had to take the classes again.

At first they said they need $25 to open my records(which they told me they didn't have). I went and got a money order then she tells me it went up to $50..I said in the one day it went up $25 she said yes.lol. Ok so I bit my tongue and did it. Then I paid the $500+ and had to go to classes once a week for many weeks. Then the lady tells me not only am I am alcoholic but a druggy also that i need further treatment. I having drank hard since my young partying days 15 years ago. Let alone ever touching drugs. Hell i haven't even drank a beer in maybe 2 years. I thought i was on candid camera.

So i call NH and they said there is nothing they can do until the amethyst says I completed the treatment. So i call the bastards and ask them ok how can i get my license back. They tell me I need to see a doctor or whatever it is in 3 separate classes. I know now they just want more money to take more of their classes.

So thinking i will out smart them I didn't go through them since I live in mass. I sign up with the psychological center. They then decided I need 8 weeks of treatment plus 2 AA classes a week. OK biting my tongue off now I do it giving the psychological center the money instead. Now i am finished after 2 months. They send the Amethyst my records stating I am not an alky or druggy plus all the forms they need.

I have been going back and forth with these people for 5 months now and still the amethyst will not say yes. They are asking for a 3 page essay from the psych center before they then send me to NH.

Please can anyone help. My boss is giving me until the end of the week or I will lose my job which consist of the company vehicle. How is this legal??? BTW isn't not having a DWI in 15 years proof enough that I don't drink and drive. IDIOTS

Pissedoff
methuen, Massachusetts
U.S.A."
Another from Rip-off Report:
If you have to go to a 'red flag hearing' make sure you ask for detailed information on how their 'test' results were found.  Ask them about their control groups.  Ask them for the actual numbes and sets of statistics that aren't taken from population samples that favor their theories.  The tests are arbitrary and the information isn't based on solid outcomes, im sure its unconstitutional but it makes them feel like they're doing something to protect citizens from harm. 
Another issue is the service, I find the employees to be unpleasant and unhelpful.  This is an expensive service but the employees act like any other state office because they have job security because they're just another state office...  No wait, they're a non-profit, right?
 Here's another from Rip-off Report:
Beware of Amethyst Foundation in NH-I paid $585.00 for classes to be taken in one weekend (20 Hrs) so I could reinstate my license in Massachusetts..for a dui that happened in 2004.

After I completed the weekend I was led to believe that this was the last step.....then they spring on me that I need to go to further counciling and AA meetings for 4 months!!!!!

Also found out that this organization was owned by a NewHampshire Senator!!, is't this a conflict of interest .......there were 30 people at this weekend class you figure it out $585.00x30. SOMEONES MAKING SOME BUCKS!!.....does anyone have any info on this SCAM? and who is this senator?

Carol
Weymouth, Massachusetts
U.S.A.
 Here's a Google User Review:
These people are horrible!! If you have a chance to do your classes elsewhere do it ! After you complete your 6 classes they will then tell you that you need after care and it will be another 6 months and more money before you get your license back, they will tell you your a drunk a druggy and that you lie, This all happened to me! I am a first time offender! Its all about money, I can only hope that someday that these people can expirence the "horrible pleasure" of dealing with the amethyst foundation.
angryinnh 
 Here's one from Merchant's Circle:
Don't go there--it's rigged to rip you off!!!
This is the worst place to go to they are all a bunch of miserable recovering drunks and they will make you one on paper too and if you don't lie about how much you have drank in your life or how young you were or if anyone in your family drank you will never get your license back. They trick you into thinking you are going to be assessed after the program but they are doing it while you are there you are better off to go to the classes and not the weekend save your money and get there on time and keep your mouth shut or you will be screwed!!

June 03, 2010 by anonymous in Concord, NH

There Was A Blog On Amethyst Foundation!

Here are all the entries from a blog called Amethyst Foundation NH DWI program:

Amethyst Foundation-It's all lies (Monday, January 19, 2009)

This place is a scam you are better off to go to a 16 week program than waste a weekend being told you are an alcoholic and a piece of shit. I can't wait till one of them needs to deal with this!!

I just got back from a weekend with these people who will try to convince you that if you ever have a drink you are an alcoholic 

Amethyst foundation- Joke  (Monday, January 19, 2009)

Just found a mistake on my test results, they have the wrong info when inputted by the expert? Most likely to make their case against me(you some day). I sound bitter but if you ever have to go Thur this you will understand.I will continue to help bring down this bs, self-serving institution.

on and on it goes  (Thursday, January 29, 2009)

Have been told by the Foundation I need 12 weeks of after care? this is their way of having someone else sign off on their program.they will tell you it is covered by your insurance company, not true, it's a legal matter.
There were 16 replies to this last entry and then the blog went silent:

Anonymous said...
Wow!! You are going to be even more upset after you complete your aftercare and then they tell you now you get another hoop to jump thru.
Anonymous said...
My friend just went through the same thing with them. She is going to take them to court over stealing her money
KylieStills said...
I am in the same situation with these people. Only they have me stonewalled because I went for a red flag hearing. Now they are making it impossible to complete the aftercare, thus making it impossible for me to attain my license. I have a friend who works for the paper. I'd like to bring this foundation down. Feel free to contact me.
Anonymous said...
I have my Exit interview tomorrow, hoping for no aftercare because i already went through rehab and jail after my conviction... but by the sounds of it i guess im getting a red flag hearing. this whole setup is a bunch of BS. I would love to see this organization brought to its knees.
Anonymous said...
I just went to the weekend program and they literally screw you over. I went to my exit interview and was told Amethyst foundation thought i was an alcoholic. Even though im 23 and barely drink. Its almost funny that i would be labeled as an alcoholic and when you try to deny you are one. They will say well first sign of alcholism is denial. This whole foundation is a money making program trying to stop the whole world from drinking because they are the miserable ones as you can see by there mood and manners. So i sent the thing in for my red flag hearing hopefully i get a trial soon because this is bullshit
Anonymous said...
can anyone give advice on how to avoid a red flag hearing in the first place what do you need to do to make them happy???
Anonymous said...
I think the place is a sham and somehow would love to expose them for what they really are! I have already been 6 mos without my license on a first offense. They totally lie to you and tell you they are there to help you and all they do is get you to incriminate yourself so they can make you look like a severe alcoholic. Whatever you do if you go there dummy up! Don't tell them you drank before 21 and if your parents ever drank don't tell them you will be stuck in aftercare forever and the ladc counselors on their list are in on it and will also keep making you into an alcoholic too.
Anonymous said...
Hey KylieStills. Have you done anything about bringing that foundation down. I got 4-6 aftercare sessions and just went to the first one today. Paid a 125 dollars to answer the same fucking questions again and didnt even get a full hour. I would like to help bring these bloodsucking bastards down. ive never been so infuriated in my life!
Anonymous said...
I went to that SHITHOLE a few years ago & like everything else with New Hampshire's F----d up system is that they want your $$$! You pay for a lawer,pay your fine, do the time without your license & have to go see one of these idiots that knows nothing about the outside world & thinks that their gonna save it! Well put them in Afganastan & tell them to save them or tell the truth that they are all stupid & playing pass the buck because I don't think that they can even wipe their own asses, it's a good thing that they have Depends for them because they need them!!!
DOWN WITH R.E.A.P said...
I Went to there counter part R.E.A.P (Serenity Place) in Manchester NH. they too are blood sucking bastards who extend your loss of license by months. I Plead guilty to DUI because I was told by the DA that I would get my Lic. back in 90 days. Guess what...almost 180 days now and still no license and I have no idea when or If i will get it back for my 1st time offense. Because i failed that BOGUS (RIASI test) which Predicts if your going to do this in the future .....PREDICTS...seriously you blood sucking bastards can predict the future...if so why don't you predict the fucking Lottery numbers...oh wait..you make more $$ off of your clients who are struggling to feed there family then winning the lottery. I was told I have to take all these LADC vists at 140.00 a visit...Thanks REAP...its only my children's frigin grocery shopping bill every week.
Anonymous said...
I have been trying to get my license back now for 5 months and was given after care because of these dumb test saying I will so it again...I am at my wits end and not sure how much longer I can go not driving and in turn not working because of it. I was given 6-8 aftercare sessions and have done 3 now...am I an idiot to think I will be all set in 3-5 sessions???
Anonymous said...
I went to Amethyst in the fall and was given 6 to 8 sessions of after-care. I ended up going to after-care for 4 months because Amethyst said I was a substance abuser, which requires 4 months of self-reported abstinence before they will consider your treatment complete. So, watch what you say at Amethyst (not that it makes a difference, it seems) and when you get to aftercare, "I stopped drinking right after my DWI (or whatever got you there)" or "I stopped when I went to Amethyst." Whether you did or not!
Anonymous said...
So true... watch what you say and claim that you have never drank after the DWI.. and stick to the story
Why are there so few review of Amethyst Foundation, Inc.?  People must either be too frightened to post, or Amethyst Foundation, Inc., is somehow getting the reviews removed.  Since this blog will be up in perpetuity, on Blogger, or some other server, I'll probably find out.

As a result of my DUI arrest, I now have a criminal record, no license, astronomical auto insurance rates, and have spent $12,000.  Haven't I suffered enough?  In addition to this, do I have to be psychologically tortured by Amethyst House, aftercare LADCs, AA attendees, and administrative officials who force me to either admit I'm an alcoholic or conclude that I'm in denial?  I feel, as the anonymous posters above feel, that the real punishment is to have all that's left of your will and spirit broken by these spiteful people.  That's not America.  That's more like the re-education camps of the USSR, China, and North Korea.  It is profoundly, profoundly disturbing.

The more I learn, and the more I try to learn, about Amethyst Foundation, Inc., the more spooked and paranoid I get.  There is a ton of tax exempt profit being made by Amethyst, and they are the entry way to a whole recovery industry that takes on the assigned "aftercare."  Amethyst has lobbyists and receives huge amounts of taxpayer money.  One poster above, claims a former owner of Amethyst Foundation was also a NH Senator.  (I need to investigate this claim.)  There is a shocking absence of criticism on the web.  I'm sure people are submitting it--who's removing it?

I will follow the advice that Deep Throat gave in "All The President's Men" and will "follow...the money."  The answer will be there.

Have you had any experiences with:
  • IDIP, WIDIP, Phase II, or MOP Programs;
  • Amethyst Foundation, Serenity Place (REAP), Community Alcohol Information Program (CAIP), Southeastern New Hampshire Drug & Alcohol Abuse Services, or Tri-County Community Action Program;
  • "Aftercare" involving AA and LADCs; or
  • Administrative Hearings (i.e., "red flag" hearings)?
If so, please write to me!

10 comments:

  1. I just sent a letter to the NH Commissioner of Safety about the suspicious practices of Amethyst Foundation. I believe that they are either grossly negligent or fraudulent. I was warned by a member of NH law enforcement, no less, that they will require aftercare as a way of boosting revenue. I thought this wouldn't happen to my son as he rarely drinks after leaving the Navy (where he got the DUI) over a year ago and does not drink regularly anyway. Surprise! He got 8-10 weeks of after care. STAY AWAY FROM AMETHYST! File a complaint with the NH Commissioner of Safety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Commissioner of Safety will likely not care. He seems perfectly happy with what Amethyst is doing.

    You need to contact the Director of Health and Human Services for the state of NH, Joseph Harding, at ph: (603)271-6110, or by email at: jharding@dhhs.state.nh.us

    If you get no relief there, contact the Governor's office and/or the Attorney General's office, telling them that you have contacted Director Harding to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just sent in a request for a red flag hearing. One dwi- that happened 2 1/2 years ago. I'm a single mom that needs to work 2 jobs to pay for my rides back and forth. Was supposed to get my licencse back yesterday but was informed I'm an alcoholic by the amethyst so I have to do 3 meetings a week for the next 4 months. Why am I suffering this way.? I'm not allowed to have a glass of wine on a Friday night once a week to relax? So everyone who drinks is an alcoholic. The bit?ch said if u were allergic to strawberries would u still eat them.wtf.? Why don't they crack down on the alcoholics that are having 3*dwi s. Not fair that im not driving. Yet someone who has 3 Dwi s is driving a year later because they lie their asa off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have had it with this foundation i have contacted the tv station wmur and i want to talk to everyone who has or had problems with these people, not on the computer where they can see im dead serious on taking them to court a robert kelly and kim think they are god, i despise these so called people who think they can run our lives and call us alcholics when they never even met me or spoke to me people please contact asap at 423 453 0102 asap leave message if i dont answer ill get back to u after work i need to hear fron you soon as the tv station wants to get on this soon thanks debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is deborah ferland again who is so against the amethyst foundation its not funny i posted a request for everyone to call me because i have gone to the tv station about these people .they have to be stopped once and for all.they cant keep playing god and riuning our lives, when its only, our 1st offence and were not alcholics please , please please, write asap as i need you all as soon as possiable the tv is willing and ready to jump on this i need your help i dont have a computer except at work and cannot use much so please leave phone no. and ill be in touch many thank there is power in numbers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well ... I am now the victim of the infamous He-A 507.02(d)(9) where "The IDCMP staff determines that a positive finding for a likelihood of a substance use disorder is indicated" I think I should get my lawyer involved in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just went through the same bullshit today- scored fine on all the "tests" but the old "ITEM 9" was checked off and now I have to pay the $200 fee for a full screening. I questioned the bitch about what "THE IDCMP STAFF DETERMINED" and she had no answer. This place is a scam.

      Delete
  7. thankyou everyone who has called me this will help!!!! please keep the phone calls comming. keep the faith , we have to do something to stop these people who think they are above the laws and can run our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The poeple at Amethyst Foundation, Inc are full of it! They recommended 6 - 8 sessions with a counselor for me, after the class!!! This was solely based on the fact that I got a DWI!!! They said I was lying in the interview! Boy, does that piss me off! I would not recommend this place to anyone. DO GO THERE!!!! It won't be that you can get it over in a weekend. They recommend counseling to everyone! I am so disgusted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been dealing with this for 9 months now and this is my first DUI with no history of alcohol or other abuse. Initially I went to my screening and was told that it's not pre determined that I'll need an evaluation which costs $200. So I filled out the first form. The second form was all about my financal status and standing. After filling that out the woman took it out back to enter the info and gave me the third form. When she came back out she said I would be required to do an evaluation. I kept my mouth shut, but seriously? I haven't even done the screening questionaire, only the general info and financial paperwork. A week later I did my evaluation and was given 9 weeks of after care and 6 self help sessions to go to AA. I completed the weekend course, my 9 after care sessions, my 6 AA meetings and I'm still waiting on Amethyst to send the paperwork to the DMV. I've called a few times and they say that I've got to wait 3 more months, each time I call they say this. The Court initialaly said 9 month loss of license with eligibility to get it back after 90 days and the completion of the program. Now I have another hearing with the dept of safety to see if I need a breathalizer installed in my vehicle when I get my license back because amethyst turned my paperwork over to them. This is my first DUI!!!! and I have a clean record.
    This foundation is awful to deal with and whatever you do don't get upset with them or you will end up with anger management classes as well. Just ask the 2 guys in my weekend course.
    Oh and AA??? Absolutely a religious organization. I went to 6 meetings. 4 dealt entirely with peoples discussions with god.

    ReplyDelete